Hey fever is considered as a common seasonal allergy. Allergy sensitive individuals often get affected with bronchial asthma, atopic eczema etc. Several anti-allergic medications are available in the market with list of different side effects. The most come across side effect is drowsiness, although considered as a less severe side effect, but may compromise daily activities.  Nowadays, people are very concern about their health; they are very much interested to learn the efficacy and safety of the medicine. Currently, even the therapeutic experts want to promote alternative natural products to manage both, disease and side effect burden. Black seed oil is a natural herbal product with immense potentiality to act against multiple allergic reactions. The following walk-through will illustrate the anti-allergic activity of black seed oil.
What happens when an allergen comes in contact to an allergic person?
Different types of allergens are pollen, ragweed, grass, pet dander, dust mites, or molds, even some foods like peanut, milk etc. can trigger allergic reactions by stimulating the histamine production in the allergic people.  Excessive histamine production leads to inflammation of nasal glands, stuffy and runny nose, and increase tear secretion from eyes (symptoms of Hay fever) or bronchial tract inflammation; which cause breathing difficulty (acute seasonal asthma). Skin tissues and swelling of underlying blood vessels cause itching, swelling, and redness in the skin and produce rash, hives (symptoms of atopic eczema). 
Mechanism of action of anti-allergic drugs
The anti-allergic drugs inhibit or block histamine secretion and therefore, control the allergic reactions. Thus, anti-allergic drugs possess potential antihistaminic effect. 
How black seed oil is Effective an Anti-Allergic drugs?
The allergic reaction often affects the upper respiratory tract and causes asthma, bronchitis, and cough symptoms. In black seed oil, the combination of nigellone and thymoquinone, are two of the most important active constituents, which provide both control of allergic reactions and provides symptomatic relief. Nigellone has antihistaminic and bronchodilating properties and provides relief from spasm. Whereas, due to anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant property of Thymoquinone, it helps to reduce swelling and deliver detoxifying effects. Altogether, both of these constituents of black seed oil are effective in controlling allergic reactions and offer symptomatic relief. In addition, Researches conducted in 1993 and 2005 showed Black seed oil has anti-histaminic effect, as it can inhibit protein kinase C (acts as a histamine releasing factor). 
John Claydon, an owner of a health food supplements mail catalog shared his practical experience of incorporating black seed oil in his diet. He shared his amazing feeling of getting a detoxified body after using black seed oil. He continues taking one teaspoonful of black seed oil daily as a maintenance therapy.  Anti-allergic effect of black seed oil is effective for all age groups including children, adults, and elderly patients.
Evidences that support the anti-allergic effect of Black Seed Oil
- The Journal of American Scientists reported that black seed has antihistaminic effect. 
- Immunologist Dr. Med. Peter Schleicher, first reported that linoleic and gamma linolenic acids present in black seed oil regulate prostaglandin E1 level and thus controls immune reaction and prevent acne, hay fever, and cancer.  Further he conducted clinical trial to check the effectiveness of anti-allergic effect of Black seed oil on 600 allergy sensitive patients suffering from dust, pollen, acne, asthma and neuro-dermatological reactions in Munich and found 70% success rate. 
- Study evidence shows that children having allergic rhinitis treated with inhalation therapy of black seed oil provided 80% positive effect against allergic rhinitis symptoms. 
- Study conducted in Munich with 600 allergic patients were given 500 mg of black seed for 3 months. The success rate was 85%. 
- A clinical trial report showed 150 patients suffering from allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma, and atopic eczema get decrease feeling of related discomfort by using black seed oil. 
Potential Benefits of Black Seed Oil against Allergy
- The different seasonal allergic symptoms, including sneezing, red eyes, sickness, watering from the nose and eyes and burning sensation can be well controlled by black seed oil administration. 
- Anti allergic effect of Black seed oil is effective against food allergy , including symptoms of upset stomach and diarrhea. 
- Acne or other allergic reaction on skin can be prevented by topical application of black seed oil. 
Direction to Use
It is always suggestive that a seasonal allergy sensitive individual should incorporate black seed oil, few days prior of the pollen season (mainly in spring). This measure can prevent onset of seasonal allergic reaction, decrease frequency and also prevent to worsen the condition.
At initial level, usual recommendation for black seed oil oral therapy is 1/2 teaspoonful per day, once a day for 2-7 days and then gradually increase the dose. Another 2 to 7 days, 1/2 teaspoonful twice a day is recommended. The dose can be increased up to 3 teaspoonful per day. This dose escalation is followed to avoid sudden exposure of body to larger dose of black seed oil. Infant and children below 12 years of age should be given as per the recommended dose. 
To take orally, black seed oil may be added to cold or lukewarm liquid such as lemon water or mix with yoghurt, smoothie, milk, shakes or other beverage to mask its taste.  In case of topical application, you can directly apply black seed oil in the skin. 
For chest congestion, apply black seed oil on the chest and back. For nasal and chest congestion, add one tea-spoonful of black seed oil in the boiling water and inhale the steam. In addition, black seed oil can be taken twice daily to control the severity of the symptoms.  For nasal congestion black seed oil can be used as nasal drops, such as one drop thrice daily for six weeks, however, the symptoms starts reducing within first two weeks. 
- Anti-allergy Medication; Side Effects; WebMed; Retrieve from http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-54596/anti-allergy-medication-oral/details/list-sideeffects
- Allergies Health Centers; Retrieve from http://www.webmd.com/allergies/default.htm
- Do I Need Antihistamines for Allergies?; Retrieve from http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/antihistamines-for-allergies
- Deena AS Hussain, M. Musharraf Hussain; Nigella sativa (black seed) is an effective herbal remedy for every disease except death – a Prophetic statement which modern scientists confirm unanimously: A review; Advancement in Medicinal Plant Research Vol. 4(2), pp. 27-57, April 2016 ISSN: 2354-2152 Review; Retrieve from http://www.netjournals.org/pdf/AMPR/2016/2/16-008.pdf
- Natural Black seed Remedies; Retrieve from https://theblessedseed.com/natural-black-seed-remedies/
- Kalus U, Pruss A, Bystron J, Jurecka M, Smekalova A, Lichius JJ, Kiesewetter H.; Effect of Nigella sativa (black seed) on subjective feeling in patients with allergic diseases; Phytother Res. 2003 Dec;17(10):1209-14. Retrieve from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14669258
- Black seed Helps in Combating Allergies; Blessed sunnah; Retrieve from http://www.blessedsunnah.com/black_seed_allergies.php
- Black Seed Oil; Retrieve from http://oilhealthbenefits.com/black-seed-oil/
- Black Seed: Effectiveness and Uses of Natural Black Seed, (-15); Retrieve from http://www.momsandbabiesnaija.com/2015/06/the-power-of-natural-black-seed.html
- Ali, Hassan, The Skin Healing Properties of Black Seed Oil; Retrieve from http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/skin-healing-properties-black-seed-oil
- Black Seeds Benefits; Retrieve from https://archive.org/stream/BlackSeedsBenefits/Black-Seeds-Benefits_djvu.txt
- Ali, Hassan, Black Seed Oil for Hay Fever; Retrieve from http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/black-seed-oil-hay-fever